Growing up, my grandparents always had grapefruit with their breakfast, and while I was a kid and didn't see the point in eating a strange version of an orange I have now come full circle and have adopted it into my morning ritual. After reading up on some of the benefits of grapefruit, I'd thought I'd share them with you guys!
- Tons of vitamin C
- Promotes weight loss
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B5
- Helps relieve indigestion
So, why are these things important?
Vitamin C (above) helps prevent the common cold, as well as elevates ones mood which in the early days of January can be really helpful. It also helps improve skin, by reducing dryness and wrinkles! I'll take it!
Promoting weight loss is a huge attracting quality to this citrus-y fruit. It can suppress the appetite because it's so high in fiber that it effectively makes you more full, so having it for or with your breakfast makes midday snacking less likely.
Vitamin A, which promotes better vision, teeth and overall bone health. It also improves the immune system, fights inflammation and improves skin!
Helps relieve indigestion by easing heat and irritation on the stomach. It also improves the flow of digestive juices. Lately, I've been getting indigestion/heartburn/acid reflux a lot. If I can do something easy, tasty, effective and natural to help stop indigestion then I will certainly try it!
Because it can become a little boring to eat the same thing everyday, here are some really cool ways to use grapefruit in your everyday diet:
- Tropical Grapefruit Smoothie Bowl: Place ½ grapefruit, sectioned, ½ cup frozen peaches, ½ cup frozen mango, ¼ cup orange juice and ½ cup ice in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour the smoothie into a bowl and top with 2 tablespoons toasted coconut chips, 2 tablespoons granola, and ¼ cup sliced strawberries.
- Broiled Grapefruit: 2 large grapefruits, well chilled, 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar, 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, 4 small fresh mint sprigs.
- Kale and Pink Grapefruit Salad: 1 pink grapefruit, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, 8 cups thinly sliced kale (center ribs and stems removed), 1 avocado, halved, pitted, sliced into 1/2-inch wedges.
- Healthy Grapefruit Parfait: 2/3 cups greek yogurt (plain or vanilla), 1 grapefruit (small), 1 teaspoon honey, 2 tablespoons sliced almonds.
The links are to the awesome blogs/websites that I found these recipes on. Enjoy!